About Sports Lab Podiatry
Podiatry is the study or the practice to improve mobility and enhance the independence of individuals by the prevention and management of pathological foot problems and associated morbidity. As podiatrists we achieve this by providing advice on the health, assessment and diagnosis of foot pathology and providing treatment options.
Sports Lab’s podiatrists are professionals with special interest and training in the branch of medicine known as podiatric medicine with their focus being in sports medicine and children’s lower limb development.
At Sports Lab we only use only tested research and methods to assess and manage foot and ankle issues. Other clinics may promise quick fixes and even faster turn a rounds on the scans and the manufacture of their orthotics and other devices, but at Sports Lab you can be assured that the assessments will be more thorough and the quality of our products will last longer as we stand behind the products we recommend.
A significant proportion of sports-related injury is directly attributed to the feet or lower limbs, as they are the weight-bearing structures of your body, which are most vulnerable under stress or constant impact.
The most common injuries that we treat include:
- Patellofemoral syndrome (knee cap pain)
- Plantar fasciitis (acute heel/arch pain)
- Plantar fasciosis (chronic long term heel spur pain)
- Shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome)
- Achilles tenderness
- Ankle pain (sprained ankles)
- Metatarsalgia/sesamoidiits (forefoot pain)
- Ankle sprains
- Biomechanical alignment
- Mechanical efficiency
- Orthotic gait assistance
Through thorough biomechanical and gait or treadmill assessments we will determine the potential cause and formulate a management plan for the best possible results.
Children’s Specialised Foot & Leg Care
At Sports Lab our podiatrists pay special attention to know that children’s feet differ from those of adults, as they are not yet fully formed. Children’s feet have unique developmental milestones and patterns of their own and hence, are quite fragile requiring specific assessment and management.
The most common children’s foot problems that we see include:
- Flat feet or over pronated foot types
- High arched feet or supinated foot types
- In toeing or pigeon toed walking
- Growing pain in the heels also known as Sever’s disease
- Growing pain of the knees also known as Osgood- Schlatter’s disease
- Ankle pains and sprains
- Ingrown toe nails
- Plantar warts
Orthotic Foot Alignment Therapy
Sports Lab podiatrists are at the forefront of foot alignment and mechanics using combining footwear selection and orthotic therapy prescription.
Orthotics are inserts for shoes commonly known as arch supports which are prescribed and designed to align and assist in the foot and lower limb function during walking and running.
At Sports Lab we use a variety of different types of devices depending on individual needs and budgets. Studies have shown that not everybody needs a custom moulded devices. Often prefabricated or “over the counter” inserts can be modified to meet individual needs (within reason)and often at the time of consultation.
General Podiatry & Foot Care
Not only do we provide biomechanical therapy, but at Sports lab we also help you look after your general foot health including:
- Calluses (hyperkeratosis)
- Corns (heloma durum)
- Plantar warts (verrucae pedis)
- Cracked heels (fissured hyperkeratosis)
- Athletes foot (tinea pedis)
- Ingrown toenails (onychocryptosis)
- Fungal nail (onychomycosis)
- Thickened brittle toenails (onychochauxis or onychogryphosis)
To Make a Booking CALL US or EMAIL US
“The human foot is a masterpiece of engineering and a work of art.”By Leonardo da Vinci