About Sports Lab Orthopaedics
To find out more about St Vincent’s SportsMed visit http://stvincentssportsmed.com.au/
Our Orthopaedic Services & Procedures
We are proud of the quality of our orthopaedic services which include:
- All aspects of shoulder surgery
- Knee surgery
- Fracture surgery and management
Our orthopaedic procedures include:
- Arthroscopic shoulder surgery, labral and rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder replacement, Latarjet, SLAP and stability surgery
- Knee arthroscopy, chondral grafting and meniscal repair
- Knee ligament reconstruction, including synthetic LARS and multi ligament knee reconstructions
About Dr Simon Tan
Orthopaedic surgeon Dr Simon Tan’s experience spans postings with major hospitals, and specialist sports injury care within Australia and internationally. Upon completion of his medical degree at the UNSW with Honours, Associate Professor Simon Tan went on to complete his orthopaedic training; receiving his Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons in 2003. To further his training, he studied at the Miller Clinic in Charlotte, North Carolina. He completed a Sports Orthopaedic fellowship specialising in shoulder and knee surgery and the treatment of acute injuries in athletes. In 2004, A/Prof Simon Tan founded St Vincent’s SportsMed at St Vincent’s Clinic, Sydney. His aim was to establish a clinic that combined the highest degree of professional and ethical standards with strong customer service values and a caring environment.
- A Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- A Member of the combined St Vincent’s Hospital campus, encompassing the St Vincent’s Clinic, St Vincent’s Private Hospital and St Vincent’s Hospital, which are teaching facilities of the UNSW
- A Member of the Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Founder of St Vincent’s SportMed.
- Completed a fellowship in sports orthopaedics, shoulder, knee and elbow reconstruction and the treatment of acute injuries in athletes, in North Carolina, USA
- In 2008 he was awarded the clinical teacher of the year at St Vincent’s Clinic.
- Director of the AOA Orthopaedic training program at St Vincent’s Hospital and is the supervisor of the St Vincent’s SportsMed Orthopaedic Fellowship program.
- On many occasions, Associate Professor Tan has hosted international shoulder courses, lecturing and demonstrating the techniques of shoulder arthroscopy to Asia Pacific surgeons.
- In 2014, he was awarded his Associate Professorship due to his ongoing clinical research. This has included research into stem cell and regenerative therapies as well as aspects of shoulder surgery
Simon is also a keen sportsman and plays in the North Sydney Basketball League and in the Sydney Hockey League.
“Don’t be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.”- Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine at Sports Lab also offers the opportunity for our unique integrated assessment and treatment system. In this system, patients have the benefit of Sports Lab’s high level of communication between the physician, surgeon and physiotherapist to achieve the most optimal results.