About Sports Lab Massage
Are you thinking of receiving a massage? At Sports Lab we utilise various massage techniques to give you a customised session that will address your personal health needs.
Our Massage Services
Remedial Massage is a hand-on therapy aimed at recovering the correct balance between the muscles, nervous system and the supporting skeletal system.
A skilled therapist can manipulate the soft tissue of your body so that it may:
- Increase circulation
- Relieve stress
- Reduce muscle tension and soreness
- Release scar tissue
- Correct posture
- Increase joint flexibility
Remedial Massage is the combination of the following techniques to achieve the desired normalisation of soft tissue.
- Trigger Point Therapy is a concentrated application of pressure on the trigger point, to break the cycle of pain and or spasm. They are small nodules of tight and contracted fibres in the muscle. It usually uncomfortable when first pressed but the sensation subsides with time, (Often know as the good pain), as the contraction is released and the muscle opens up.
- Myofascial Release gently stretches tight fascia, allowing fascia and muscle to relax, thereby improving stretch capability and range of motion. It aims at reducing pain and increasing muscle flexibility by realigning fascia and the muscle to which it is connected to a more normal condition.
- Deep Tissue Massage uses slow strokes and deep hand pressure on areas of muscle tension, either following or against the direction of the muscles, tendons and fascia. It frees the muscles, facilitates the release of tension patterns and can restore suppleness, length and increased range of motion.
Regular massage reduces the habitual levels of stress in your body, allowing you to move more freely, enabling you to breathe more fully, and leaving you less prone to injury. After each session your body will have become looser, more energized, and more alive!
Massage is beneficial because it helps you get into better shape quicker, with less stiffness and soreness. It helps you recover faster from heavy workouts and relieves conditions that may cause injury. Massage can be something to look forward to after a workout – a healthy reward.
A regular massage will leave you relaxed and feeling great. A sport specific massage can do that and is geared towards focusing on the stresses placed upon the body by the demands of the sport, for example, areas of greater stress for cyclists and dancers are in the legs; for swimmers in the upper body; for tennis players in the arms; and for golfers in the lower back. These areas are more likely to be tight, lose their flexibility and develop trigger points.
Regular Sports massage can:
- Stretch and relax muscles
- Relieve muscle pain and spasm
- Improve range of motion
- Identify tender areas before they develop into injuries
- Speed recovery from muscular exertion
- Free muscle adhesions
- Restore suppleness and elasticity
- Give the athlete better mind/body connection and awareness
- Reduce muscle stiffness and soreness
- Prepare the athlete for competition
Don’t neglect yourself. Give yourself an advantage over your competitor. It can be your secret weapon.
“If you understand the force of intelligence in the body, its mechanical operation and structure,
you can work on any part of the body you can reach with your hands.”By Lauren Berry
Sports Lab also offers the opportunity for our unique integrated assessment and treatment system. In this system, patients have the option to be assessed (at the same time) by Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Muscle Therapy and Podiatry, in the one extra long session. Treatment is then based on consensus between therapists for the optimal result.